Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Evil Vermouth and Ninja Magic

Yesterday was a day of excitement in our household. At least two out of the three events were good exciting, one of them not so much.

First off, I spent the late morning cooking up a storm in the kitchen. I don't know how many times I opened and closed the refrigerator door, pulling containers out and stuffing tupperware inside. The number might actually be an important detail to this story because we keep bottles of alcohol on top of the fridge. With all the shifting and moving around and general activity in the vicinity, one of the bottles migrated to the edge. When I went to open the door one last time, you guessed it...

It came crashing down on my head. An entire new bottle of vermouth shattered on my head and then fell to the floor.

Have you ever been suddenly hit over the head with something?

It was the strangest sensation. I can't say that I felt any pain at all really. I was just stunned and then pissed off that I had to clean up that mess and rummage for slivers of glass in my hair. I do have a little welt today. So, the lesson learned is: Don't keep bottle of alcohol on top of the fridge.

Okay, now please excuse me as I take down all the bottles of alcohol from the fridge. Oh never mind, I'll do it later... or maybe never.

The next bit of excitement is that I happened to be looking at my account on You Tube, and I noticed that my video on the Ninja restaurant had some crazy ungodly number of hits (6,800). I thought it had to be a mistake and then I did a little research.

It seems that all these viewers (mostly teenagers) came from Italy and Spain because it was featured on several European websites as well as Asian ones. Here's a list of a few of them that featured it...

Wacky internet world... I am continually amazed at how interconnected we are now... who would have thought my video would appeal to masses of European geeky adolescents?

Finally, I was also surprised recently by my blog friend, Chrissy! She awarded me the lovely blog award, which I am honored to receive. I am supposed to award some of my favorite blogs recently, and I really have too many to whittle down.

I'll just mention three lifestyle and cooking blogs that I've been enjoying reading lately:

Stay tuned for a recap of our Spooky Okinawan tour we took last weekend... you know this island is crawling with ghosts, don't you?

14 comments:

Stacie said...

So glad I found your blog via Soultravelers3! My husband and I ate our way through Singapore for 6 months a few years ago...I miss Asia and am eagerly anticipating reading about your adventure! Sorry about your head...ouch!

K and S said...

ouch! hope you are okay!

Mary and Sean said...

Thanks Stacie! I would love to do an eatfest in Singapore, myself! Looking forward to reading more of your New Mexico adventures

Mary and Sean said...

Kat,

I'm fine, really. But thanks! I was just surprised, that's all! It's a clumsy time of month.

Carrie Stuart said...

Ouch! I've never felt that sensation before...I can't imagine it. Glad you are OK. Isn't it funny how some connections are made on the internet, or how some things just take off? One of our YouTube videos has almost 84,000 views. It was a Christmas surprise Xbox 360. A couple of gaming sites picked it up and the rest was history. You just never know.

bingata744 said...

Hi Mary -- Writing this here as it is your latest entry -- love them all. Reference your trip to Ishigaki -- do you think it would be worth the 45 min trip each way to go there? We already have all our hotel arrangements made on Okinawa, so don't want to change those, but would like to go to one of the other islands. Let me know what you think and then I'll investigate flight times, etc. Thanks. (Hope you have recovered from the vermouth incident. I know what you mean about being startled by something like that.) Anne

Abi said...

Buenos Dias!

Yes, a clock fell off the wall and landed on my head when I was working in a shop once. The surprise is quite bizarre - but it seems to keep anyone else around you hugely entertained!

Thanks for your comment on my new blog - I've tried to answer your question about pandas over on the Inside the Travel Lab one.

Hasta luego!

Amy @ The Q Family said...

Ouch!! Glad that you are ok!

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I love your blog and will probably spend my whole night reading up on your archives. :)

Mary and Sean said...

Bingata,
The flight itself is only 45 min each way, but then you'd have to consider all the extra time involved in the travel, getting to the airport, checking in early, the wait time, etc... but the good thing is that I think they have a range of morning and afternoon flights available...ishigaki itself is pretty tiny, so you could easily see the good stuff in one day, and they have nice pottery too...Kabira bay is supposed to be gorgeous (we didn't see it because of the bad weather)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary! I can't believe you got hit in the head with a bottle!!! It's also super, super cool that you got so many internet hits! I just put a cool thing on my blog where I can see where in the world people are looking at my blogs, and I'm getting the strangest hits...but it's so cool to see! Hope your head feels better :-)

Pete 'n Stephy said...

hahahaa...i don't mean to laugh at your misfortune yesterday of having a giant bottle break over your head, but the way you described it was so funny!

I would totally just leave the bottles up there too...and hope for the best.

Thanks for stopping by our blog, it's cool to see other parts of Japan! Don't you just love it here!?

Chrissy said...

Hey Mary,

Our blog is www.millersinokinawa.blogspot.com!

Just noticed the link did not work...

The pale observer said...

Were you able to salvage any of the Vermouth? Sop it up wih a cloth, sieve the glass and have a cocktail? If not, I'd be pissed too...

Great blog.
Cheers
Holli

Fly Girl said...

A bottle of vermouth crashing on the head sounds really frightening to me, I hope you got out every sliver of glass. We actually keep our liquor selection over our stove, much to the disturbance of my mother. She's convinced that one day all the bottles will explode from the heat. Sounds scarier than crashing bottles but I haven't moved them either.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin