Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Just in Time for Halloween



1. This seriously knarly looking thing we pulled out of a shell and slapped on the BBQ grill at our recent Korean BBQ dinner last weekend. Despite wanting to be adventurous and experience the oddity of food here, I just couldn't do it... Sean did though. He'll tell you it tasted like nothing, but I saw his face when he chomped down on it!

2. Mangrove Forest on Ishigaki Island, teeming with bugs and crabs. Can't you just imagine a swamp creature rising up out of the water?

3. Caged Cat Hanging in a Tree. We viewed this site in China last year at a Buddhist temple. Despite some online research, I have been unable to discover an explanation for it. Do any of you happen to know? Is it to scare off the birds or evil spirits? One thing is for sure, shrill cat whines are not pleasant on the ears.

4. Gangala Forest in Southern Okinawa. We only ever walked through this greenery in the daytime, but I wouldn't want to get lost out here after sunset.

5. Finally, Christmas Themed Nail Art in Okinawa. This image is no joke. If you happen to live in Japan, you know exactly what I am talking about. I have to admit that while I admire the creative urge here, I'm a little freaked about how I would get my contact lens in and out...
So, what about you? Have you seen anything that sent a chill down your spine recently? In the spirit of the holiday, do tell!

9 comments:

Kirsten said...

Those are all pretty scary! I once went kayaking through a mangrove in Martinique and I was scared the entire time a giant furry spider would jump into my boat.

The pale observer said...

That 'food' thing is really disgusting looking... and I'm very curious about the cat in a tree!!! The poor thing!! I could imagine what animal rights activists would have to say...

But then here in Ghana people go long distances with goats tied by their feet to the roof of their vehicle...

Shannon O'D said...

That Korean knarly looking food made me gag a little - and the thought of Sean trying that is gross! Great post though! Lol, it was fun :-)

peregrina feminina said...

Fun post! I just wrote about my swamp experience in Bolivia, but that mangrove forest looks swampier than what I experience! Did you ever figure out what food that is in #1?

A.C. said...

I'm not sure what's scarier! The caged cat or the Christmasy nails! But the sea creature isn't that scary :) It looks like a large escargot (which are icky looking but delicious).

Your adventures look fantastic!

Joelle said...

When I lived in China it was a common thing for people to "walk their birds" -- they'd take them out to the park IN THEIR CAGES and let them enjoy the breeze. We used to say it was a perfect example of communism -- being given the "illusion" of freedom. I guess possibly, they are letting their cat be free in the air/sun?? Seems like a bit of a reach though!

Fly Girl said...

That Korean food thing is the scariest sight I've seen so far. I really can't top it.

stacie said...

Korean food item, hands down!

Jessie Kwak said...

The Korean shellfish looks a bit like a small version of geoduck (a specialty in our neck of the woods in Seattle). I've tried that as sashimi and it was pretty bland....

The nail art, though. Woah. How do you *do* anything?

Great blog, really loving it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin