Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Okinawa Tortoise Diet

Did the title grab your attention?

Over the next month, I'm engaging in what I call the tortoise diet.

No, I'm not going to be eating tortoise stew. But I AM babysitting three tortoises for a friend who is traveling for a few weeks.

Confused? Here's the deal.

My friend lives about a mile away from me, so I'm planning on walking to his house every day, either early in the morning or early evening. That's 2 miles of exercise right there.

And since tortoises eat lots of green leafy things, in our household, we're also going to be eating a lot of green leafy things in order to feed the beasties the fallout.

So, there you have it. The Tortoise Diet Plan.

Here's a funny side story (and not about tortoises).

My friend also asked that I pay his utility bill for the month of July. In case you didn't know, Okinawa is a subtropical climate and the summers are muggy!

He handed me an envelope of cash, and said, "This should cover it. 100,000 yen."

Shocked, I inquired, "You mean 10,000 yen?" (about $100 US)

"No, 100,000 yen." (About $1,000 US)

Can you believe it? He handed me almost $1,000 US to pay his utility bill!

8 comments:

Fly Girl said...

$1000 for a utility bill? I thought ours was ridculous but it's not even close. Japan really is expensive.

K and S said...

I think it is so cool and so scary he gave you cash!

Mary and Sean said...

We usually pay about $150 US for our bill, but we're really conservative about running the air-conditioning and appliances.

Crazy, right?

Becca said...

I LOVE tortoise!!!! Am absolutely obsessed with the Galapagos tortoise. You must post photos of them.

Eve said...

awww that is so fun you get to pet sit! I think it sounds like a really fun diet plan. I've heard that the bills get pretty expensive during the summer, but wow $1,000! Sometimes (a few rare times) I'm glad I live on base.

Anil said...

You had me too. I though you guys were going to be eating tortoises :)

Steve said...

That's crazy money for utilities. Especially for just one month. Maybe he was just making sure it was all covered.

Have fun taking care of the tortoises. Should be an interesting experience.

Claire said...

so how much was the utility bill?? take pics of the tortoises!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin